Divergent Series - Movie & Movie Soundtrack Review

You all are in for a treat today! A 2 for 1 review. 

I just barely finished reading the Divergent books, I'm a late adaptor to this series. I sometimes avoid books that are overly popular until all the hype is over. If people are still talking about them after that then I give them a try. This time however, I saw the movie before reading the books and that is what inspired me to read them. 


Divergent: The Movie
The previews for this movie did not do it justice and I had no desire to see it in theaters or rental, but after hearing over and over from friends how good it was I decided to give it a go. I loved it! 

Veronica Roth created a very unique dystopian world that translated to the screen perfectly. It was entertaining and thought-provoking and a good set-up for film number two. After seeing the movie I was dying to know what happened next so I rushed to read all three books. 


Divergent: The Movie Soundtrack
There were two artists that stood out to me from the film: Ellie Goulding and M83.

Ellie Goulding is really popular right now, especially her album Lights from 2011. I had no idea her album was that old since she has only recently been playing on the radio. I love the sound of her light voice, together with the electronic elements. She reminds me a bit of Natasha Bedingfield although Ellie seems a bit more restrained and soft in her vocals, but I'm certain she's capable of letting loose more than she does. Her song Lights caught me immediately. I think her popularity sparked from that single and her inclusion on the Hunger Games soundtrack with her song Mirror



Some of my favorites from her include:
Lights
Burn
The Writer
Explosions (from her 2013 Album)
And my new favorite - Beating Heart



M83 has been on my playlist for a while now, but I absolutley love their new single- I Need You!

Some of their songs bring back an 80's nostalgia, but in a good way. Funny enough, if you find the Couleurs album on itunes, it shows that "other listeners bought George Michael." Most of their songs though, like slowly for example, feel perfectly modern even though they came from 2001 and on. 





Some of my favorites from M83:

I Need You
Midnight City
We Own the Sky
Holograms
Midnight City




No comments: