Winter is Around the Corner

Although I know this is Fall in Utah and the cold weather is fickle, it is already making me think of winter. I'm glad we still have some sunny days ahead of us though, I'm not quite ready for the snow and cold.

Winter to me means snuggling in a blanket with a good book and lots of yummy soups! This is my favorite soup, we make it every winter and I'm already craving it!


Lentil Soup

Ingredients:
1 quart chicken stock
1 quart water
2 cups red lentils – rinsed
1-2 T olive oil
2 strips of Kombu (sea vegetable)
2 onions
3 cloves garlic
5 carrots
4 stalks celery
1/2 pound potatoes
1 rutabaga
2 zucchini
1 28 oz. can diced tomatoes
3 teaspoons salt

Pinch of each of the following:
Cumin
Bay leaf
Dried or fresh parsley
Oregano
Thyme

Instructions:
Bring first 5 ingredients to a boil
Chop together onions garlic cloves, carrots, celery, potatoes, rutabaga and zucchini.
Add vegetables into the pot.
Add 1 can diced tomatoes
Add salt, cumin, bay leaf, parsley, oregano and thyme
Cook for 45-60 minutes.
Serve piping hot with warmed bread.

*note- I've never been able to find the sea vegetable and we use green lentils

No comments: